September 28, 2020
Dear Residents and Families,
As I am sure many of you are aware, Wisconsin is experiencing an increase in the reported COVID cases. We have just learned that one of our residents have tested positive for COVID. As a result, certain restrictions will be either be put back in place or be implemented for the first time in an effort to mitigate the spread of the infection and protect our residents and staff.
These restrictions include:
- Stopping patio and window visits with families;
- Again ceasing group activities within the facility;
- Limit transportation of residents off of community grounds, to only essential doctor visits.
Currently the positive resident is not in the facility but may return if the resident may be appropriately cared for in our community.
We have also initiated the specific action plan to respond to a COVID positive finding for a resident. This includes:
- Any additional suspected positive or diagnosed as positive for COVID residents will be isolated from other residents following CDC and local health department guidelines; and
- When caring for suspected or known positive residents, heighted infection control measures are used to protect staff and prevent the virus from transferring into our common areas.
We are reviewing any individual that may have come into contact with this individual, and based on the type of contact and the infection control measures used during the contact (socially distant, use of personal protective equipment (PPE)), we will determine next steps, including testing. We will, of course, continue our current infection control measures that include, but are not limited to:
- Requirement of universal masking by staff and essential visitors at all times and residents when in common areas;
- Screening and taking the temperature of all staff members, external healthcare providers and other essential visitors upon entry into the building;
- Staff use of gloves and frequent hand washing/sanitizing between resident cares;
- Encouraging residents to perform frequent hand washing/sanitizing;
- Delivering meals to resident rooms;
- Increased cleaning of common areas and high touch surfaces;
- Restricted visitation to essential visitors; and
- Any residents leaving the Willow Brooke campus for treatment at an external healthcare provider or for any other reason will be required to be quarantined upon his/her return.
We will continue to assess all residents for any signs and symptoms of the COVID-virus and will notify resident physicians and responsible parties on any changes of condition, whether COVID related or not.
We will provide you updates as things change in the community. As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns.